Course Number: TRA0080
Occupational Completion Point: A
Course Title: Tractor Trailer Truck Driver
The 320 hour Tractor Trailer Truck Driver course prepares students for entry into the trucking and logistics industry. Students explore career opportunities and requirements of a professional tractor trailer driver. Students study vehicle safety, accident prevention, operating regulations, cargo handling, documentation procedures, pre-trip preparation, vehicle inspection, maintenance, service, control procedures, backing, coupling, uncoupling, maneuvering, road and hazardous driving skills, and licensing requirements. Students will also train on a state of the art driving simulator. The simulator allows the student to experience multiple scenarios and driving conditions as well as handling of the truck.
– A minimum age of 21 is required to enter this course.
– Participants must meet the D.O.T. requirements to drive in Florida and have a class “A” CDL learners permit with all endorsements except passenger.
– Participants must pass the DOT physical, and have no more than 9 points on their driving license in the last 36 months.
– Pass a Drug Screening.
– No Sexual Offender violations.
– Provide proof of identity and residency to the DMV.
– Submit to a driving record review.
– Your driving record for the past 10 years will be up for examination.
– Handbook can be found at: www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks. For CPL Permit study Sections, 2, 3, 5,
– In the field, students work on basic driving skills, handling equipment, dealing with various transmissions, backing, docking, and handling.
– Includes driving day and night, as well as in a metropolitan area.
Employment of heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers is projected to grow 6 percent from 2016 to 2026. As the demand for goods increases, more truck drivers will be needed to keep supply chains moving. Locally, the need is much greater than 6%.
SALARY RANGE :
The annual wage for truck drivers averages between $37,930 to $58,000 per year.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Jeanette Morrison, Clerical Assistant