Certain Marion Technical College programs are approved by the state of Florida Approving Agency. Veterans and dependents of disabled or deceased veterans who plan to attend under any of the training laws should stop by the Office of Financial Aid for assistance and advisement. Veterans’ information may also be obtained at http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/ To obtain a list of approved programs at MTC, please contact the certifying official at 352-671-7203.
NOTE: The programs that are certifiable for Veteran’s Educational benefits are: Applied Welding, Applied Cybersecurity, Nursing Assistant – Long Term Care (CNA), Cosmetology, Culinary, Emergency Medical Technician – ATD, Fire Fighting, Facials Specialty, Medical Clinical Laboratory Technician – ATD (MCLT), Technology Support Services , Nails Specialty, and Veterinary Assisting.
IMPORTANT: Clock hour programs containing any online component are not eligible for Veteran’s Educational benefits.
Application for Veterans Education Benefits
Applications are designed to obtain the data necessary to determine eligibility for educational assistance benefits for particular educational objectives. The application and required forms vary according to the type of benefits and to the circumstances. Veterans unsure of their eligibility status regarding VA educational benefits are encouraged to submit an application online at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp and let the VA determine eligibility or to call the Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-888-442-4551. This number will connect the veteran or dependent of a disabled or deceased veteran to the nearest VA regional office, where counselors should be able to provide additional information as to whether a particular veteran is entitled to benefits.
Community Technical & Adult Education may require a large number of forms to certify the student. The following is a partial list of forms that may be required to certify the individual.
- 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits for MGIB, 34/30 and MGIBSR
- 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
- 22-5490, Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
- 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35)
- 21-686c, Declaration of Status of Dependents (Chapter 34/30 only)
- DD form 2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility, NOBE (MGIB-SR). This form can be obtained from your Reserve or National Guard Unit
- DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from active duty)
- Certificate of eligibility
Additional forms may be required for special cases.
Veterans Award Letter
When payment of education benefits is authorized, VA will, without exception, mail an award letter to the student. Only one copy of this letter will be issued. The letter provides the student with the following:
- Notification that his or her enrollment has been processed for a specific period,
- with the inclusive dates for which payment will be issued.
- The monthly rate of payment the student can expect to receive.
- The student’s original net entitlement.
- Delimiting date.
- The amount of entitlement remaining at the end of the term, quarter, semester, or academic year, if the student continues to attend at the certified rate for the
- entire period. (For a service person, the entitlement used is shown.)
- A maximum 60-day deferment for MTC tuition and fees can be granted for veterans awaiting payment from the VA by initiating a tuition installment plan.
Where applicable, a copy of the award letter is also provided to the claimant’s accredited service representative. The law requires that educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress towards completion of his or her training objective. Benefits can be resumed if the student re-enrolls in the same educational institution and in the same program. In other cases, benefits cannot be resumed unless the VA finds that the cause of the unsatisfactory attendance, conduct or progress has been removed and the program of education or training to be pursued by the student is suitable to his or her aptitudes, interests, and abilities. For each student, MTC is required to maintain an academic record that includes, for a veteran or eligible person, the credit allowed toward the student’s current program due to previous training and experience.
Veterans Attendance Policy
- VA students are required to attend all classes.
- Daily attendance records will be forwarded to the certifying official’s office.
- Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is monitored each semester as per the course semester calendar. Students must maintain an overall 90% attendance and a minimum “C” average to remain in good standing unless otherwise specified.
- Veterans not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress will have their benefits terminated.
- Veterans cannot receive benefits if on a leave of absence. (Benefits must be terminated)
- Veterans must complete program within the 100% of the specified program timeframe in clock hours.
Employ Florida for Veterans
The state of Florida has developed a new resource for veterans, veterans’ families and employers in accomplishing their employment goals. Please click on the web address below, or copy and paste the web address below to visit the Employ Florida for Veterans website:
Summer Glen Veterans Educational Scholarship
Summer Glen Veterans group has developed a new resource for veterans who reside in Marion County Florida to assist in their educational goals Eligibility criteria is detailed on the scholarship application. Please click on the button below to download the application. The completed application can be submitted to the Financial Aid department at the school.
Donald Harrison Veterans Educational Scholarship
Marion County Veterans Helping Veterans group has a memorial scholarship, for any veteran attending our institution who resides in Florida to assist in their educational goals in honor of Veteran Donald Harrison. Eligibility criteria is detailed on the scholarship application. Please click on the button below to download the application. The completed application can be submitted to the Financial Aid Department at the school.